Friday, August 14, 2009

An odd week!

I haven't posted in a few days, but it has been an odd running week. The marathon training has been going splendidly and I have been nailing all of my workouts for a while now. Then came this past Tuesday. I had my normal warm up and cool down scheduled, and my coach gave me 2 x 1200 @ 4:33 and then 4 x 800 @ 2:58. For the first time that I can remember, I did not hit a single interval at the prescribed time. I was slow on all of them. I just couldn't figure it out. I felt like the leg turnover was there, but at the end I would check the watch and I was a few seconds behind. That may not sound like a big deal, but it is to me. I may not be the fastest cat out there on the roads, but I have a talent for hitting my pace marks every time. Not today, however! It actually had me down a little bit after the workout. I talked (e-mailed) with my coach and she told me not to get down about this, everything was going along just as it should.

Then came Thursday's tempo run, 5 miles at 7 minute pace. I hit the first mile at 7:15 and I was sure another bad workout was happening. So I stopped watching the splits and just ran on effort. When I hit the 5 mile mark and checked the watch, it read 35:29. Just 29 total seconds off, and 15 of those came in the first mile. The other splits were 7:04, 7:07, 7:03 and 6:57. All in all it turned out to be a good workout, despite what I thought midrun.

I have to remember that one bad workout does not mean I need to lose confidence on my training. If I don't run a 3:15 in my October marathon it won't be because I didn't have a good training cycle.

My new Nike Lunarglides came in. I will write a short review on them once I get a chance to run in them. Anyone reading this probably doesn't know this but I am a complete running shoe junkie and have more pairs than 3 people could ever wear. I am excited for these and hope they will be the marathon shoe for this year.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on your tempo run! Sorry I missed the social last night, I was baking a cake for Jett's Birthday! He's having friends over for a sleepover tomorrow night! I am headed out to Circle B in the morning so Ill see you there!

    ReplyDelete